Interview with Justin Roselt.
Justin Roselt is the father of two boys and married to Ruza a Serbian National.
Justin balances his family life with a career in web development and has built his business ‘The Web Monsters’ from the ground up.
Continuing to grow through new products such as Platform Accelerator and others, Justin has to tread the fine line between entrepreneurship and family.
This podcast interview dives into Justin’s journey through setting up a business and being a father thus far.
Key Points of Interview
Tell the story about your transition between being without Children to being a Dad?
Make sure you feel like you continue to achieve things.
Tell me about a time of real challenge, where you felt like you really messed it up as a father, what happened and what did you learn?
Justin Roselt tells how he struggled having a new born family and starting his own business. Justin also talks about the lessons he learnt from this and how you have to break things down into bite size chunks, not focus on the end goal – focus on the journey and reassess on a day to day basis
Tell me the story about how you and your partner created balance in your relationship? Ensure you get time together.
- Struggle with interpretation of balance – Not sure what balance looks like and still exploring
- Plan and set a family calendar that everyone contributes to and that you can use to see what everyone is doing – google calendar.
- Two hours with the boys at night and connection time with wife at dinner
- Plan your time – don’t assume it will just happen.
- Everything into calendar.
- Just find what works for you in how you prioritise.
Give the listeners your experience in balancing career and family. What in your opinion is the key?
- Plan your time
- Identify the important things and only focus on them – get them done so that time with the family is time with the family not thinking about what you have not done for the day.
- Understand the value of time and recognise that you can’t get it back.
What is your biggest worry when it comes to your children and how/what are you doing to mitigate these concerns?
- Ensuring you can instil family values
- How to control that when they start becoming involved with others
- Children learn by seeing how you behave and therefore it is important to present the values you want them to adopt.
- Do and be the person you want your children to be.
Most proud moment – when did you really nail it as a Dad?
- Yet to have that moment
- High fived the Obstetrician when his boys were born – most impactful moment
- That moment to come when the boys hit benchmark moments – first date, achievements – sharing the journey.
- Favorate Dads Toy – Marbles because involves the boys
- Productivity Tool – Moleskin Diary – planning with a pen and paper
- Ensure time for yourself – Blocking out one day a week – identifies four things to achieve in that day and do not get distracted.
- Who do you look up to as a Father – Hugh Jackman
- Favourite website – Feedly
- Family Tradition: Serbian traditions in line with wife Ruza’s culture
Try and mix with other dads where possible – you are not alone and don’t be afraid to talk about your struggles.